Ingredients1/3 cup dried cherries
º cup kirsch
1? cups flour
1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, firmly packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
æ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
º tsp. salt
Directions1. Soak the dried cherries in kirsch in a small bowl for 30 minutes.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Place the eggs in a mixing bowl and blend. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until well blended. Add oil and vanilla. Blend again.
4. Add the dry ingredients to egg mixture. Mix at medium speed to combine. Stir in the soaked cherries and walnuts. Dough will be firm but sticky. Gather the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least an hour or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350? Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Divide the dough in half and roll each section on a lightly floured surface into a 9” log. Place the logs on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the logs are cracked slightly down the center and firm but not hard.
8. Remove from oven, lower heat to 250?, and slice the logs on the diagonal into ?” slices.
9. Place the slices cut side down on the baking sheet and return to the oven.
10. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove, and cool the slices on rack. They will become crispier as they cool.
Keep this sweet treat on hand to curb a chocolate craving! These crisp cookies are the perfect addition to any special occasions. Stored in an airtight container, Biscotti will keep for up to two weeks.