2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
? teaspoon baking powder
? teaspoon baking soda
? teaspoon vanilla extract
1 � cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 � cups whole milk
Grated peel of 3 oranges (about 4 tablespoons)
1 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9- x 2-inch round cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl or large measuring cup with a pouring lip, beat together olive oil, milk and orange peel.
3. In bowl with electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat eggs while gradually adding sugar, until mixture is very thick and lemon colored. Beat in vanilla.
4. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in about 1/3 of flour mixture, then 1/3 of olive oil-milk mixture. Repeat twice until all of flour and oil mixtures have been incorporated.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake is golden brown and begins to pull away from side of pan, 40 –50 minutes.
Nancy Harmon Jenkins says that in Italy this cake is often served for breakfast, but is also delicious for dessert or at mid-day tea.